Common Signs of Pest Infestation
Stop pests in their tracks by keeping your eyes open for these red flags.
Even the most attentive homeowners can find themselves suddenly with an unwelcome pest infestation. After all, they’re a natural part of our environment.7 These uninvited guests – be they of the winged, tailed or multi-legged variety – require your swift attention, because if left unchecked, they can cause damage to your home.8 For example, rodents are known to chew through not only insulation but also electrical wires.9 And termites cause billions of dollars in structural damage nationwide each year.8
Gradual pest damage and pest removal isn’t usually covered by homeowners insurance because home pest control is expected to be part of regular exterior home maintenance, prevention and detection.10 Generally, the language in a standard homeowners insurance policy will specifically exclude insects and rodents from the coverage. However, there are some animal antics that may be covered.
Your best safeguard against an infestation is to catch the invaders before they become an issue.7 These critters don’t need much of an opening; many pests can sneak through holes and cracks as small as a half-inch wide.2 It’s a matter of training your eye for the signs – big and small, inside and outside – that pests are trying to make inroads to the comforts of your home. If an infestation does take hold before you recognize the signs, be sure to hire a professional pest control company to remediate the problem.
- Identify and Prevent Rodent Infestations, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2018.
- Are You Attracting Rats and Mice to Your Yard?, County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health, 2019.
- Cockroaches: Prevention and Control, County of San Diego Department of Environmental Health, 2019.
- Questions and Answers About Termites, State of California Department of Consumer Affairs Structural Pest Control Board, 2019.
- Pest Control in Food Establishments, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2019.
- Management of House Bats, Montana Department of Agriculture, 2019.
- Citizens Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2017.
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2018.
- Damage Management, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources Nebraska Extension Wildlife, 2019.
- Which Disasters Are Covered by Homeowners Insurance?, Insurance Information Institute, 2019.
Want to learn more about Amica home insurance? Call today for a free personalized consultation.833-513-3881 833-513-3882
Discover insurance that meets the highest standards. Yours.Get a Free Online Quote
Simplify home maintenance and keep your home in its best shape with the Home Check by Amica app.